Scanners - The Ultimate Guide - Interface
Currently available scanners with parallel port, USB,
SCSI and FireWire.
- SOHO scanners. May use any one of mentioned
above. The most preferable is USB due to low price, adequate speed and
hot-swap capability. SCSI interface may result slightly better performance,
but SCSI is not hot swappable and cables are pretty sick. Also, please
take into account, that even all currently manufactured PC motherboards
have USB controller, they may lack USB connector which have to be installed
at service center.
- Midrange scanners. Use either SCSI either FireWire
but not USB because of throughput considerations.
- Professional scanners, like midrange, use certain
flavor of SCSI (SCSI or UW SCSI) either FireWire. FireWire is still not
so popular among professional scanner's manufacturers.
Tips from MacGuru
- Professional flatbeds may work or may not with
certain SCSI controllers and even motherboards. Always check manufacturer's
compatibility notes before configuring scanning workstation.
- Use separate SCSI bus for connecting extra
peripheral like magneto-optical drive or CD-RW.
- Binuscan Workflow...